Week # 69. Otto's Baptism
Yoooo olá everyone! Lets get right into some stories!
This week we were invited to a lunch and when we got there the member couple had a friend there! And not just any friend, but a friend that was interested in hearing about the restoration! I, naturally, was so excited! Obviously to teach but also to have members with us! In my last mission, all the focus was to have members with you when you teach and here it's not so much haha but with the members it was so easy! Anytime Ravane had a question, I immediately looked to the members to hear their testimony on it! Members have power! Dont be afraid to help the missionaries out!
We were meeting with one of our friends who was having some problems with the word of wisdom. She had been drinking coffee to help her stay awake during work but she said that she really wanted to keep the word of wisdom and that she would find another way to stay awake! The next time we called her she said "I've never felt so awake before, I'm drinking like two energy drinks before work and it works perfectly!" We cautioned her against drinking a ton of energy drinks because she might die hahaha but loved that she was willing to change!
At one point we had a lesson with a new friend and at the end we asked him if he wanted to say the closing prayer for us. He asked us how we prayed so he could learn more about us. We taught him that we always start with Heavenly father, to address Him. Then it's just whatever you want to say! Then at the end you just need to say, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. He goes "sounds good, but its wrong" I was dumbfounded hahahaha we then asked him why he thought so and he goes "heavenly father is just a title" and I was like "listen Luis, you can call Him whatever you want. Just be respectful" hahaha he then proceeded to lecture us about prayer for 20 minutes and after that he said "elder Bollar will you pray for us?" These Brazilians like to be precise and that just proves their loves for God haha nothing gets in the way!!
Andddd finally..... our miracle!! This past week we recieved a call from our friend Otto. This was very unexpected because three weeks earlier he had said that he did not want to hear more about the gospel and have us at his house. So you can see why this call was unexpected hahaha We said we would come, and the next day we got there in surprise to have a super nice conversation! We finally got to the point and said "Why did you want us to come today?" He then proceeded to say that he wanted to be baptized. I was blown away hahaha A little skeptically i stated asking questions to see what he really thought about the church. When we asked him this, he bore the sweetest testimony. And then added his tears to it. I felt by the spirit that something had changed his heart and that he was ready. We then scheduled his baptism for that Saturday andddd it all worked out!!! Literally a miracle in every sense of the word. God still works miracles!
*a little sidenote. The baptismal font in our church was broken so the water couldnt be heated haha Two minutes before I stuck my fingers in the water to feel the situation and it was freezing cold!! Normally this would be a small problem, but otto is 80 years old! Haha he bravely walked into the front and splashed water on himself to get ready to be baptized. The bishop then put him in the water and when he came out.. I felt the Spirit so strong. Our friend Otto started to cry, with a smile on his face, standing in that font. This Church is true. And no one could convince me otherwise
2 Nephi 32:5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
Over all my mission I've gained the biggest testimony of the Spirit. He truly testifies and guides! We have every piece of knowledge ever available to us as long as we are worthy of His presence! Just like I felt the Spirit during, i know you all can feel that same way! One way is reading that Book of Mormon;)
Alright y'all, have a blessed week. Dont forget to say your prayers and read the Book of Mormon! Incredible blessings!!
-Rainy Joinville
-Waiting for missionaries (me, elder Bernardes, elder Matos)
-Ottos baptism!!




Comments
Post a Comment